MGKSiegen, 2020

The Clandestine Talks, during the exhibition “The Clouds and the Cloud” (4.9.20-10.1.21) at MGKSiegen take place in one tower of the old wing of the Museum, built in 1894 as a telegraph office and later on used as a post office. The building is a typical service building from the Wilhelmine era. The exterior structure, which is structured in many ways by towers, roof structures and in the style-appropriate facade material, follows the old urban ground plan references. 

The conversion into a museum and new building of the MGKSiegen was the ninth museum project to be realised by architect Josef Paul Kleihues (1933–2004). His work in Siegen reveals Kleihues' particular interest in the productive tension between old and new buildings, between tradition and modernity. He had the old building of the museum, extended with a structure facing onto Schlossplatz (Lower castle) as well as a separate concrete wall superimposing the new building's façade.

The decisive concept for the conversion lay in this division of the resulting ensemble into two parts of different design, contrasting clearly on the outside while the transition is hardly noticeable inside. The new building, cubic in its basic structure, houses the entrance area, restaurant and a separate foyer, while the second floor comprises further exhibition rooms. Outside, the new building is characterised by a large video wall functioning as an eye-catcher above the entrance.